Pages

Monday, August 18, 2008

The Great Debate

Ok so I'm not a gardener, but I do love fresh tomatoes, so this year I decided to stick
a few plants in the ground along with some cucumber plants. I rationalized this with myself as 'how hard can it possibly be'.

As luck would have it, for once in a very long time, we have had insane amounts of rain, instead of brown dried up grass like we should have this time of year, we actually have to keep cutting it! Lucky for the tomato and cucumber plants because its not like I would have thought to water them.

In any case the great debate has been ongoing for 4 days now about one lil tomato on one gigantic plant, that IS red...yup it is, and yup it is ready to eat! However, the person on the other side of the debate keeps saying, no it is NOT ready, leave it there.

Well, my anticipation got the better of me and I picked it on Saturday.



And we ate it...and its true (and I hate being wrong), it really wasnt ready...but it looks ready dont you think?! =)

2 comments:

Fabricmom said...

It looks ready to me. But it is hard to tell.

Hunter said...

I go by a gentle squeeze in the palm of my hand (not enough to bruise the fruit, just enough to see if it's hard or if it gives a little.) If it's hard, it's not ready. I like mine to feel slightly soft.

I just put seeds in a while ago. I wish I could get even one tomato off of my own plants.

Darilyn